Thursday, March 18, 2010

Reflections on Tuesday (even though it's Thursday)

I'v never had a blog before. I don't even think I was quite sure of what a blog is until fairly recently. Anyway, here goes my attempt at actually keeping up with a "blog" (that word is definitely going into the category of words that sound ridiculous--couldn't we call it something else?). Just so you know, my name really isn't Tuesday. I sort of wish it was. Yes, I'm fully aware it's a day of the week, but it's such a cute name. If I ever feel the need to change my name (which I'm pretty sure will never happen) Tuesday will be in the top five. Or maybe if I have a little girl someday, I'll name her Tuesday. There's something rather interesting about it. Nobody in the U.S. likes Mondays; Wednesdays are "halfway through the week" days so you can pat yourself on the back for surviving the first half and steel yourself for the second ; Thursday is okay because people are anticipating Friday; Of course, Fridays are supposed to be fabulous and they lead up to Saturdays which for many are "free" days that quickly become not so free; then comes Sunday and church and family dinners and reading Parade magazine and dreading Mondays. Tuesday is the only day I can think of when nothing in particular is going on. No one's expectations for that day are especially high or low, there's usually no dread attached and no one feels the need to make grand plans. A rather extraordinary position to be in, I think. Can you imagine being a Tuesday? Everyone hopes that you will be a good sort of day and if you turn out to be perfectly splendid, they are pleasantly surprised. If you end up badly, well, it's okay, there's always tomorrow and the rest of the week to make up for it. Interesting...By the way, "C'est le ton qui fait la musique" is French for (literally) "it's the tone that makes the music." In other words, it's not what you say but how you say it. How true.

No comments:

Post a Comment